What’s more lovely than the sound of a beautiful wind chime blowing in the breeze? Here’s a super fun and creative way you can make your own wind chime with nothing more than just sticks and paint! Perfect for your yard or as a gift for someone else’s!
- Sanding Block
- Acrylic Craft Paint
- Craft Varnish
- Small Screw Eyes
- Yarn (or fishing line, jute, twine etc.)
1. Start off by snapping sticks into lengths of about 8-10 inches.
2. Next peeled the bark off the sticks. This is actually quite fun, and kids might really get into this part.
3. Then, using the sanding block or a piece of sandpaper, give sticks a quick once-over to remove any remaining bits of bark.
4.Then, paint each stick with 2 coats of acrylic paint. You can make each stick a different color or all the same! You could even paint with patterns. The possibilities are endless!
5. After paint dries, brush with coat of craft varnish for protection from the outdoor elements.
6. Next (After varnish has dried), screwed tiny screw-eyes into one end of each stick. Depending on how hard your wood is, children may require very little or a lot of assistance with this part.
7. Then tie a long length of acrylic yarn to each hook.
8. Tie each stick to the lowest branch of any nearby tree or overhanging.
And there you have it! Beautiful looking and sounding homemade wind chimes!
Craft courtesy of www.happyhooligans.ca